Purpose: cultural – historical monument, the City Hall and National Libary
The building was built in Neo – Moorish style, which has remained as a trademark of that time.
Official opening ceremony was on April 1896, Baron Johan von Appel opened the City Hall and the building had retained this function until the year 1949 when it became the home of the National Libarary of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
The fire caused by direct artillery shots, fired from aggressor positions, in the night between 25th and 26th of August 1992, caused almost complete destruction of the building.
Reconstruction of the City Hall was taking place in several phases:
1996 - 1997: static stabilization of the building and renovation of the roof construction, steel dome and suspended ceiling reparation with reconstruction of the glass roof
2000 - 2004: restoration of the inner constructions
2004 - 2010: drawing up plans, project documentation, and selection of materials for the restoration of the facade and interior of inner structure
2011 - 2012: restoration of the facade