I. BUILDING DATA
In the spring of 1903 József Guttmann jr. has bought the plot at the crossroads of Piata Ferdinand and Teatrului Street, where the house of the construction engineer Ferenc Knapp lay at that time.
The project of the hotel consisted in erecting a two floor building, completed in the central jutty with a third floor which harbored the lodging of the tenant of the building.
At the ground floor of the hotel opened in June 1904 a coffee shop of wide dimensions, a restaurant and an “impressing winter garden” were organized while the underground floor harbored a beer pub.
Starting with 1907 the cinema Urania had its location here too.
During the period between the two world wars, the name of the hotel became Palace, and during 1944-1990 it was named Transilvania.
Description of the edifice
Hotel Pannónia is a corner building with two stores, erected on a rectangular plan.
On the side with 7 axes towards Piata Ferdinand the 5 central axes are protruding from the plan of the facade in a jutty, the jutty being marked also by the existence of a third floor.
The facades of the building are provided with simple decorations, of high quality, and with the exception of some elements in secession style, they are eclectically in style, resembling to the quattrocento architecture of the palaces of Florence.
The design of the architect Guttman Jozsef (dated 1903-1904) has besides its merit in itself also the one of conferring the Piata Regele Ferdinand a unitary character, but at the same time well individualized.
The facade of the building was restored entirely during 2011-2012.
Total facade area: 1.300 sq.m.
II. ARCHITECT DATA
The architects' bureau Novartis of Oradea is managed by the architect Cristian Puscas and is specialized in architecture, urban planning and restoration of historic buildings.
- restoration of the facade Hotel Transilvania Oradea
- rehabilitation of the facade Astoria, Oradea, str. Teatrului, nr. 2
- rehabilitation of the main facade villa Darvas – LaRoche, Oradea, str. Iosif Vulcan, nr. 11